Creative Commons License
MrsZep Blog by KZep is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Discovering Something New--WeVideo

The first site I chose is from Kathy Schrok’s Guide to Everything.  I decided to check out the Online Video Editors, and picked WeVideo.  I have been teaching a video editing software program with my 8th graders for the past two years, and we always have a variety of issues with hardware and software.   Often my computers won’t detect my headphones and microphones, the program locks up and students haven’t saved, and often the kids don’t move files before importing them and Sony “loses” the file connection and then the kids have to start over.  The biggest issues are my network and computers can’t handle the program.  It was explained to me in much more elaborate terms from my tech department, but that’s the issue is simplistic terms.  Upon first looking over this site, I liked some obvious options .  I liked the Cloud feature so kids can access it anywhere, and also there will be no lost file issues.  (My Sony Vegas software is only available in my classroom and not the computer labs due to the expense of the software, so this problem would be solved with WeVideo.)  I also really liked how WeVideo has three different options for editing—accommodating all learning levels and allowing for differentiation.  (Sony Vegas is very sophisticated. We utilize the multiple tracks for audio and video.  The kids even create a Green Screen effect using the Chroma Keyer Effect.)  I also love the themes available in WeVideo; another quick editing tool for kids who are just starting with the basics and aren’t prepared for all of the effect options in Sony Vegas, and for those who just don’t have the time to add pizzazz.  I was very pleasantly surprised with all the options in WeVideo.  I like how the audio and video layers automatically add themselves as more items are imported into the timeline.  If students need to quickly create a video, I think the gallery of music and sound effects are really helpful.   I was also impressed with the further editing that can be done on the audio tracks, such as fading and controlling volume.  The recording option was so easy, also!  Photos and video could be edited in their placement so titles can be shown on the side. We the exception of the many effects we use in Sony Vegas, I was able to accomplish all of the fundamental tasks and operations we use in Sony Vegas.  The biggest bonus is the fact that WeVideo will not disconnect from files and kids can work on their videos anywhere they have the internet.   I also like how the Media link keeps a collection of all media used so it is accessible later on. 
An educational complaint with this site is the inability to download with the free version.  However, you can link it, embed it, or upload to some social media.  Also, students will not have the collaborative component to share for editing purposes with the free version.  Other than that, this site is great for my students and for personal use! As a Middle School teacher, I would have to get parents' permission for kids to make an account as many of my kids are still under 13.  I think this would be a great classroom tool.

Check out my first creation below.  It demonstrates use of multiple audio layers, recording, fading of music, importing pics, use of titles, use of effects, and transitions. Then, I wanted to see how the mobile app for WeVideo worked, so I took some pictures and images during a trip this past weekend at a local lodge where we celebrated my daughter's birthday with friends. I learned that the only real option available on the mobile app is to upload the media files. You have to log into WeVideo on a computer to access all other editing effects and features. What's nice, however, is you can get your video started while on the go via the app, then just spruce it up later when you have time. Below is my creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment