Creative Commons License
MrsZep Blog by KZep is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Rationale for My CC License

When asked to choose our own Creative Commons License, I decided to follow the classroom philosophies I try to impart on my own students. First, even if Fair Use can be justified, I still challenge the kids to search for multimedia works that follow modification permissions. I have already participated in student computer competitions that would not honor Fair Use Guidelines at all, and in the future, kids will not always be in the educational setting anyway. I also feel giving others recognition for their work and achievements is important and good practice, even if they do not personally require attribution. I find that creativity is often a challenge for many of my kids. I encourage them to build upon others’ creativity (if permitted) as a starting point. For this reason, I feel “remixing” work is a very positive activity for students as they grow and develop in their own sense of style. In addition, as much as I foster and believe in Capitalism, I feel that others should only profit in creativity, not money, from my own thoughts, ideas, and productions, as well as my students’. Finally, as willing as I am to share, I feel that if you take my work, you must play by my rules. For all of these reasons, I chose “Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike” for my CC License.

No comments:

Post a Comment